OUR PASTOR -Shari Dawn Stilgenbauer
Pastor Shari Dawn and her husband Rev. David W. Stilgenbauer are from Parkersburg, WV. Pastor Shari received here undergraduate degree from West Virginia State University in Institute, WV. She recieved her Masters of Divinity from United Theological Seminary in Trotwood, OH. Pastor Shari has served as a part-time local pastor and worked for the boards of education in counties that she has lived. Currently she is appointed to the New Creation Charge in White Sulphur Springs, WV. She is loving the new challenges that God has put before her at this time. Pastor Shari has three mostly grown children Kayla, Whitney and Joe. She also has three beautiful granddaughters. Pastor Shari's prayer is that she is always seeking God and God's plan for everywhere and everything she does.
The organization of the Emmanuel Church goes back to 1858, when David Watts laid plans for a new Methodist Church. In 1859, Thomas A. Carson, the first pastor, secured a lot from the White Sulphur Springs Company, but because of the Civil War, the church was not completed until 1871, under the pastorate of James T. Clark.
The church remained on the Greenbrier Hotel grounds (at the site of the present entrance from U.S Route 60) until 1908. Under the pastorate of J. H. Schooley, the church was relocated to the present site on Dry Creek Road. In 1927 extensive additions and repairs were made. In 1928, a Sunday School building was completed under the pastorate of G. G. Oliver.
In 1945, the church was completely destroyed by fires, and in 1946 a new church building was begun under the pastorate of James C. Fisher. The new building was completed in 1948. The first service was held on Easter Sunday, led by Pastor Alvin C. Young.
The educational building was completed in 1951, and in 1957 the church purchased the Tressell property adjacent to the church. A new parsonage was erected on this property in 1961, under the pastorate of Charles W. Paskel. Another addition to church property was made in 1967, when the Garing property, a one-and-one half acre plot, was purchased from the John R. Campbell estate.